5 Landscape Lighting Facts You Should Know
ACS sheds light on the benefits of illuminating your exterior
Everyone can think of reasons why the addition of exterior lighting to your home makes sense. Customers call ACS all the timefor ideas on how best to enhance safety and security while still accentuating the home’s aesthetics (from its architecture to its landscaping). From New York to South Florida to Southern California, ACS has designed lighting control solutions that add safety, convenience and also great curb appeal.
If lighting your outdoor space seems simple, we suggest you consider all the parts of the equation to ensure you create a truly memorable atmosphere.
First Comes the Design
ACS has the experience with controlling low voltage lighting, adjusting light intensity, and the overall effect of light to help design your dream landscape. We can identify the best control options, such as Lutron, for the light you’ll use and advise on techniques to optimize the system.
That said, whether you work with professionals like ACS or others, we have found these five principles of lighting design to be extremely important considerations:
1. Cohesion: The lighting design must make immediate visual sense to residents and guests alike, combining architecture, landscape, and lighting techniques into a sensible relationship.
2. Depth: Illumination of components both close and at a distance adds depth to your view of the landscape from within the home.
3. Focal points: You don’t have the pool, fountain, statues or specimen trees to only see during the day. Arbors, gazebos, and other architectural structures deserve to be showcased. Make the most of the accents you’ve taken the time to already include.
4. Balance: Areas of light and shadow need to feel synchronized. If plants and structures are lit out of proportion, there will be no sense of design or deliberation.
5. Visual Pleasure: Among the things you DON’T want: glaring light sources, extremely bright bulbs, misplaced fixtures, etc. Flashpoints decrease the effectiveness of your lighting design, so take the time to ensure there are no distractions.
With a well-designed lighting plan and an ACS Lighting Control System, you will be able to enjoy your landscape in the evenings during the spring, summer, autumn and throughout the winter months. Its artful functionality lights paths and patios for safety while maintaining aesthetic appeal with balanced light to tie in the landscape features and structures.
One of the excellent exterior lighting fixture manufacturers that ACS works with is Costal Source. This well established company has a full line of waterproof light fixtures as well as matching speakers. Along with ACS system designers and homeowners, Coastal Source collaborates with the project team to develop exterior lighting plans that elegantly fulfill the design criteria outlined above.
If you’re getting ready to explore your options in landscape lighting, don’t hesitate to give ACS a call. We’ll even integrate the control of your outdoor lighting control with the rest of your home automation. We look forward to showing you how!